Posted: 29 November, 2016 by AAP

NRL Release Massive Statement On Future Of John Grant

The rest of the Australian Rugby League Commission have unanimously thrown their support behind embattled chairman John Grant.

Grant is fighting for his job after the NRL on Monday formally received an application from disgruntled clubs calling for an emergency general meeting to oust the chairman.

But Grant's seven fellow directors stood behind their boss on Tuesday after pencilling in December 20 as the day the 26 stakeholders decide on his future.

Clubs require a minimum 14 votes to remove Grant as chairman of the ARLC.

"It is highly disappointing that they (clubs) have taken this course of action given John's unwavering commitment to the game over the last five years," the commissioners said.

"John's appointment as inaugural Chair recognised his qualities as a successful business man, who as a former Kangaroo, was ideally suited to take the game forward.

"He has since undertaken his role without bias and with the best interests of the game as his priority at all times."

The commission re-iterated Grant's reasons for reneging on a funding model agreed to last year, citing the need to fund the grassroots, women's game, participation and digital exposure.

They urged clubs to return to the negotiating table that was believed to be set for this week.

"We would urge the clubs to accept our invitation to engage in open dialogue at the earliest opportunity," they said.

ARLC Official Statement

Photo: Getty Images

The seven Independent Commissioners of the Australian Rugby League have pledged their unanimous and resolute support for Chairman John Grant. 

The Commissioners said the clubs were within their rights to call a General Meeting to test support for the Chairman. 
 
The ARL Commission will hold a General Meeting on 20 December 2016 to put the resolution to all members.

“But it is highly disappointing that they have taken this course of action given John’s unwavering commitment to the game over the last five years,” the Commissioners said. 

“John’s appointment as inaugural Chair recognised his qualities as a successful business man, who as a former Kangaroo, was ideally suited to take the game forward.   He has since undertaken his role without bias and with the best interests of the game as his priority at all times. 

“The Commission has an obligation to do what is right for the whole of game, not only for the elite game but also for grassroots, the women’s game, participation and our digital future – and that is what we have sought to achieve. 

“We unanimously and resolutely support John and believe it is in the best interests of the game for him to remain as Chair.”
 
The Commissioners said the only way of reaching agreement on club funding was for all parties to reconvene and work out a solution. 
 
“We would urge the clubs to accept our invitation to engage in open dialogue at the earliest opportunity,” they said.

Matty Johns: Rugby League Is Facing Its Biggest Crisis Since The Super League War

For all the latest and best Triple M Footy news, download the Triple M App

To Read Next