Posted: 22 November, 2016 by AAP

Essendon Agree To Compensate Banned Players

Settlement agreed

(Image: Getty)

Essendon have agreed to pay settlements to 18 past and present players who lost earnings as a result of the AFL club's supplements saga.

Thirty-four past and present Essendon players missed the 2016 season after they were banned in January for anti-doping code violations arising from the supplements program overseen by controversial sports scientist Stephen Dank.

Law firm Slater and Gordon have confirmed the Bombers have reached an in-principle agreement with 18 of the players but said the amount of money each would receive was confidential.

"These players were innocent participants in the supplements program," class action lawyer Patrick Gordon said on Tuesday.

"They were given assurances that all supplements they were receiving had been approved from people who they thought they could trust.

"No player at any time intended to breach their obligations under the AFL Anti-Doping Code and any such breach that occurred was due to the players being misled about the nature of the supplements they received.

"They now hope to move on with their lives and careers, both within and outside the AFL."

Gordon said paperwork had been lodged in regards to the settlements, which were expected to be formally resolved in coming days.

Essendon are expected to address the matter at a press conference on Tuesday.

The Bombers last week revealed the supplements debacle had cost them almost $10 million over the last year.

Essendon said the net additional cost of player compensation claims and legal fees was $4.5 million.

Additionally, they had to fork out $1.5 million for short-term player contracts so they could field an AFL team.

They also lost $3.1 million in reduced gate takings and other revenue and took another $806,000 hit as they wrote off assets at their old Windy Hill ground.

-AAP

To Read Next