Posted: 13 June, 2012 by Triple M

Queensland Wins State Of Origin Game I Defeating NSW 18-10 In Melbourne

QLD has defeated NSW in the opening State of Origin game in Melbourne.

Tags: state of origin, Origin 2012, Blues, NSW, QLD, Maroon, win

State Of Origin Game One Fans

Queensland has taken Game One of the State of Origin series 18-10 at Etihad Stadium in Melbourne.

The capacity crowd was treated to a gripping contest, with the Blues right in the game until a late try was awarded to the Maroons’ Greg Inglis which helped Queensland to an eight-point advantage the Blues could not pull back.

Refs boss Bill Harrigan told Triple M Sydney he has yet to review that try despite newspaper reports to the contrary.

"I still haven't reviewed the game yet, and until I get back into Sydney and have a real good look at it...," he told the Grill Team.

Most commentators said it appeared Inglis knocked on, but the video referee deemed Blues player Robbie Farah made contact with the ball deliberately with his foot and the big Queenslander was given the benefit of the doubt.

While the Maroons were leading before the try, the decision robbed the Blues of the second-half momentum they unquestionably had at the time.

WATCH: Greg Inglis Controversial Try

(Video: Channel 9)

Earlier, Akuila Uate scored the first try in the match for NSW but that would be answered with two first-half tries to Darius Boyd.

Trying to prevent Queensland from making it seven consecutive series wins, the Blues got off to a perfect start when Uate scored in the 7th minute, however Carney couldn’t convert.

Soon after, a bit of spice was added to the contest with Jarryd Hayne giving Jonathan Thurston a cheeky left while they were both on the deck.

It looked like NSW had scored again when Farah crossed the try-line, but he didn’t get the ball down after a great defensive effort from Matt Scott.

The Blues were then dealt another blow with Michael Jennings sin-binned 17 minutes before half-time for running from a long way to land a punch at a fracas that had developed after a penalty was awarded to Queensland.

WATCH: Michael Jennings Lands Superman Punch

(Video: Channel 9)

Hayne’s physicality was more important a minute after the send-off, with a desperate tackle preventing what looked like being a certain try for Tate.

But Queensland would soon make amends with Boyd crossing for the Maroons’ first to lock the score at 4-4. Thurston’s conversion gave Queensland the lead.

And things got worse for NSW when Boyd crossed for a what would be another converted try right on half-time.

Jennings made up for his earlier indiscretion by scoring the first try of the second half, giving NSW the spark it needed. This time Carney made no mistake with the conversion and the Blues were back within two points.

Carney then had a chance to tie the scores from long-range after a penalty but his shot from 40 yards slid just right.

The Blues continued to challenge though, with Jennings executing a clever kick along the sideline which Maroons big man Sam Thaiday just got to before Brett Stewart got his hands on the ball and put it down.

Then, Inglis was awarded his controversial game-sealing try, which is bound to be the big talking point both sides of the Queensland-NSW border on Thursday.

FULL COVERAGE: State Of Origin 2012

Get the full review and have your say on the match.

Tags: state of origin, Origin 2012, Blues, NSW, QLD, Maroon, win

Post a comment

* Indicates required field

(this will be the name displayed on the site)

Related Content

To Read Next