Posted: 1 December, 2015
by Michael James
Shane Warne Hits Back At Allegations Against His Foundation
‘I’ve been really hurt and disappointed’
Shane Warne has hit back at recent allegations that his foundation is under investigation by Victoria's consumer watchdog.
It has been alleged by Fairfax Media that the Shane Warne Foundation tried to stop financial records from being accessed.
“It’s been pretty disappointing to read some recent reports that are just factually wrong. They’re incorrect,” Warne told Triple M’s Hot Breakfast.
“I have it in writing from consumer affairs that the Shane Warne Foundation has never been under investigation and has also never told a third party that it’s under investigation. So that sort of sums that one up.”
It was also alleged that only 16 cents of every dollar was given to institutions that care for sick and underprivileged children.
“That is factually wrong,” Warne said on Triple M.
“Over that 11 year period (that the foundation has been running) we have so far given away $3.6 million to over 125 different children’s charities and individuals.”
“Hopefully after our next event on January 29 we’ll have around $400,000 to $500,000 to give away. So that total of our money after an 11-year period will be around $4-$4.1 million dollars that we have been able to give away.”
“To me that is a significance difference that we have been able to make to seriously ill and under privileged children.”
Warne says that he has been overwhelmed by the support since the reports emerged.
“I’ve been really hurt and disappointed by it (the reports) but I must say that I’ve been overwhelmed also by the support of the public out there, and all the people that have come to our functions and know what we do.”
“And also people out there that said ‘You know what. We know you’re doing a great job because my friend, the Shane Warne Foundation helped’.”