Triple M Footy Tipping

Tip against the Triple M team for your chance to win $5,000. Great weekly prizes up for grabs, too.

Triple M Footy On Air

Get the details of where and when you can hear Triple M Footy this weekend.

AFL Injury List

Who's out with injury and how long are they out for? Find out here!

Posted: 24 October, 2014

Mitchell Gets A Power Upgrade

Port Adelaide upgrades Mitchell, re-signs Ah Chee, parts ways with 3 others

(Image: AFL Media)

Port Adelaide has upgraded Kane Mitchell to its senior list and re-signed Brendon Ah Chee ahead of next month’s national draft. 

But Lewis Stevenson was not so lucky after he was told his services were no longer required. 

Tom Logan will also be delisted by the Power but the club intended to pick him up again in the rookie draft while Ben Newton opted against accepting a new contract and will try his luck in the draft.

Power list manager Jason Cripps said Mitchell deserved his promotion after playing footy off the rookie list in the last two seasons.

“Kane has got terrific endurance and a great attitude and he suits Kenny’s (coach Ken Hinkley) game style,” Cripps said.

Read more

Tags: AFL, Port Adelaide Power, Power

Posted: 24 October, 2014

McLean Blasts Blues Over Delisting

Delisted Blue says meetings left him confident of earning another contract

(Image: AFL Media) 

Veteran onballer Brock McLean has blasted Carlton over the lead-up to his AFL delisting. 

Earlier this week, the Blues announced they had delisted McLean, Mitch Robinson and Kane Lucas. 

McLean said meetings with key club officials, including coach Mick Malthouse, around the end of the season had left him confident of another year with the Blues. 

But his manager Adam Ramanauskas texted with bad news while McLean was on holidays in Copenhagen, saying the Blues were unlikely to offer a new deal. 

Carlton football director Andrew McKay then rang McLean to confirm his time at the club was over and the conversation did not go well. 

"I'm certainly not angry or bitter or anything like that, but I was just disappointed how it was all handled," McLean told SEN radio on Friday. 

"How I was sort of told one thing and led to believe one thing and Adam Ramanauskas, my manager, was told another thing, so there was no real transparency or honesty amongst the whole conversation or the whole situation." 

McLean is also nonplussed that he has not heard from Malthouse. 

"I don't know the reason why Mick hasn't rang me, but I would have thought, as the senior coach, he might have got on the phone to me," he said. 

When McLean went on his overseas trip, he was sure the Blues would give him another year in the AFL. 

McLean said McKay told him he was squeezed out by their busy recruiting during the trade period. 

The 28-year-old played 63 games for Carlton after 94 with Melbourne for a career total of 157. 

"He (Malthouse) was of the view that he wanted me around next year and that I was a required player," McLean said of their meeting near season's end. 

"So I walked away from that thinking, 'Yep, great, I want to play on next year and it sounds like Mick wants me here, so that's good'.” 

"And then my exit meeting at the end of the year probably went even better.” 

"So I walked away with the view that I was going to be around next year and there would be a contract available on the table sooner rather than later." 

Read more

Tags: AFL, Carlton Blues, Blues

Posted: 24 October, 2014

Winderlich Reverses Retirement Decision

Essendon veteran will play on in 2015 with the Bombers

(Image: AFL Media)

Jason Winderlich has officially completed one of the more remarkable backflips in recent history by committing to playing on with Essendon in season 2015. 

Winderlich announced his retirement late in the 2014 season – only to be talked out of his decision by the club after the season ended. 

The veteran then reportedly expressed his desire to sensationally leave the Bombers and join Richmond during the recent trade period due to the ongoing supplement saga that had dogged Essendon for the past two seasons. 

But newly-appointed senior assistant Mark Harvey and CEO Xavier Campbell were instrumental in convincing Winderlich to stay put at Tullamarine next year. 

The injury-plagued 30-year-old was playing career-best footy in 2014 and his original choice to retire came as a surprise to many. 

“I’d had a number of really positive chats with Hirdy (coach James Hird) and (chairman) Paul Little, and the boys were constantly in my ear, encouraging me to change my mind,” Winderlich said. 

“Our recent family holiday gave me time to weigh everything up, and I felt I still had a real hunger and the ability to go around for another season.” 

“To have Mark Harvey return as an assistant coach is exciting for me personally, and it’s a massive boost for the playing group and the footy club in general.” 

In August, Winderlich cited the toll footy had taken on his injury-ravaged body as the reason he called it quits initially. 

“I think it’s fair to say the body probably didn’t have another full pre-season in it,” he said at the time. 

Back, knee and hamstring injuries had restricted Winderlich to just 128 games in 12 seasons. 

But he revealed on Friday that recent chiropractor sessions gave him a new lease on life. 

“My body is feeling the best it has in a long time. The sessions freshened me up and allowed me to play some really consistent footy last season,” Winderlich said. 

“While there’s no guarantee, I’m confident in my body and excited about what this season has to offer.” 

Hird said Winderlich had shown himself to be an outstanding leader of the football club. 

“Jason is a very popular member of the playing group, and we all love having him around the club. He adds a particular element of class to our forward line, but he is also impressively versatile,” Hird said. 

“Jason’s history with injuries has been well documented but his body held up well this year. He played one of his best seasons to date so we’re thrilled that he’s reversed his decision to retire because we know he still has plenty to offer.”

Read more

Tags: AFL, Essendon Bombers, Bombers

Posted: 24 October, 2014

Newbold To Stay At Hawks' Helm

Andrew Newbold will stay as president of Hawthorn until the end of 2017

(Image: AFL Media)

Hawthorn president Andrew Newbold will remain at the helm of the Hawks until the end of the 2017 AFL season. 

Newbold will be elected unopposed to the role, with nominations to lead the premiers closing without an opponent emerging. 

By design or coincidence, Newbold has seen Hawthorn play off in the grand final in each of his three years as president winning the 2013 and 2014 premierships. 

Hawthorn will ratify the second three-year term at their AGM on December 11.

Fingers crossed Newbold doesn't have another crack at acting during his tenure...

(Vision: Hawthorn FC)

WITH

 

Read more

Tags: AFL, Hawthorn Hawks, Hawks

Posted: 24 October, 2014

Beams: Family Was Behind Lions Move

New Lion felt like meat in sandwich during trade negotiations

(Image: AFL Media)

Star Brisbane recruit Dayne Beams is adamant that family was the only reason he switched clubs. 

Beams, a Collingwood premiership player and their best-and-fairest winner two years ago, was the subject of one of the biggest deals in this month's trade period. 

The onballer had a year left on his contract, but asked for a move north because his father Phillip has been ill this year with cancer. 

Brisbane failed to meet an initial deadline set by the Magpies before the deal eventually went through. 

"It hasn't been a decision I've made in the space of two weeks," he said. 

"It's something I've thought about a lot through the year.” 

"To me, my family is everything.” 

"My decision was based purely around that and what was going to best for me, my missus and the rest of my family." 

Beams admitted it was stressful, but was always confident the deal would go through. 

He was holidaying in New York with now-former Collingwood team-mates when the trade was confirmed. 

"Obviously there was a bit of a process - (I) felt like the meat (in) the sandwich at times - but I knew that when I made the decision,” he said. 

"It was a relief." 

Beams said Magpies president Eddie McGuire and coach Nathan Buckley were understanding about why he wanted to leave. 

He revealed he also spoke to Buckley before making the controversial decision to miss the club's best-and-fairest function. 

A Melbourne newspaper published a photo of Beams drinking at a pub on the night of the function. 

"I wasn't surprised, because I was there," Beams said of being at the pub. 

"That (the photo) didn't worry me one bit.” 

"I would have felt too uncomfortable (attending the function).” 

"Bucks was fine with it." 

Two days ago, Buckley used the analogy that if players did not want to be at Collingwood, they would stop the bus and let them off. 

"I guess I'm off the bus now," he said. 

Beams was equally blunt about whether the Lions or Collingwood were closer to winning a premiership. 

"Brisbane," he said when asked. 

And the midfielder is already relishing the prospect of Round 1, when Brisbane host Collingwood at the 'Gabba. 

"It will be interesting ... I'm really looking forward to it," he said. 

"I love those sorts of challenges, it fires me up and I'm sure they'll come out fired up as well.” 

"Hopefully they pack the Gabba out." 

Beams also said his father is making good progress in his cancer treatment. 

"My old man is a fighter - he's not dying," Beams said.

Read more

Tags: AFL, Brisbane Lions, Lions

Posted: 24 October, 2014

Eagles Duo Delisted

The West Coast Eagles have delisted Blayne Wilson and Adam Carter

Adam Carter and Blayne Wilson. (Photos AFL Media)

West Coast have informed defenders Blayne Wilson and Adam Carter that their contracts would not be renewed.

Read more

Tags: Blayne Wilson, Adam Carter, West Coast Eagles

Posted: 24 October, 2014

Saints To Meet Blues In NZ

St Kilda will host Carlton in Wellington Anzac Day match next year

(Image: AFL Media)

St Kilda will host Carlton in next year’s New Zealand Anzac Day clash at Wellington’s Westpac Stadium. 

It will be the first time two Victorian clubs will do battle in the fixture since it was established in 2013. 

Sydney (2013) and the Brisbane Lions (2014) were the first two opponents the Saints faced in New Zealand. 

Next year’s match will hold extra significance as it will mark the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landing. 

After consultation with the Victorian RSL, it was decided that the match would start at 1.10pm local time (11.10am AEST). 

As Anzac Day falls on a Saturday next year, the St Kilda-Carlton match will be the first of five for the day.

The traditional Essendon-Collingwood clash will be next cab off the rank on the day followed by a twilight fixture and two night games.

St Kilda CEO Matt Finnis was looking forward to playing the match in New Zealand on what will be a ‘significant occasion for both countries’. 

“We acknowledge the magnitude of this day as we once again bring the Australian game to our New Zealand friends,” Finnis said. 

“This game will also give our supporters a time to remember in a place they will never forget.” 

Finnis said New Zealanders would get a genuine footy experience in 2015 by having two Victorian-based clubs playing each other. 

“After holding two matches in Wellington over the past two seasons, New Zealanders are getting a taste for the Australian game,” Finnis said. 

“For the first time, New Zealand football fans will have the experience of a Saturday afternoon at the football where they can watch two foundation AFL teams renew a long-standing rivalry. 

“Our club’s first ever game was against Carlton in 1873 and the two clubs have enjoyed a rich history ever since.”

Read more

Tags: AFL, St Kilda Saints, Saints, Carlton Blues, Blues

Posted: 23 October, 2014

Demons Delist Georgiou

Melbourne has delisted defender Alex Georgiou, after just one season

(Image: AFL Media)

Melbourne has delisted defender Alex Georgiou, the mature-age rookie played seven AFL matches.

Read more

Tags: Melbourne, Demons, Alex Georgiou, Neville Jetta, James Harmes, Max King

Posted: 23 October, 2014

Marsh Baffled By ASADA Response

AFL Players Association CEO Paul Marsh speaks to Triple M about ASADA's statement

AFL Players CEO Paul Marsh. (Image: AFL Media)

UPDATE OCTOBER 24, 8AM

AFL Players Association chief Paul Marsh says he can't see any reason why the ASADA case, against 34 Essendon players, can't be sped up. 

"It is actually baffling because they talk about the 12,000 pages, we have gone through that but that's not all the evidence," Marsh said on Triple M.

"What we want is all the evidence so the AFL can then make a decision as to whether they then issue infraction notices to the players." 

It comes after ASADA boss Ben McDevitt declared he would not be dictated to by the AFLPA.

Read more

Tags: AFL Players, AFLPA

Posted: 22 October, 2014

Melbourne Demons Cut Two More

Sam Blease and Defender James Strauss have been delisted.

Images: AFL Media

Melbourne have delisted midfielder Sam Blease and Defender James Strauss.

Blease was taken at pick  No.17 in the 2008 Draft, Strauss was taken in the same draft at pick 19.

The pair join Shannon Byrnes (ret), Mitch Clark (trd), Mitch Clisby (del), James Frawley (FA) and Daniel Nicholson (del) in leaving the Demons.

Also See

Trade / Free Agency Tracker

Follow all the latest trade updates with the #1 name in footy

Read more

Tags: Melbourne Demons

Posted: 22 October, 2014

Harvey Returns To Essendon

Former Freo and Brisbane coach comes back to where it all began

(Image: AFL Media)

Former Essendon champion Mark Harvey has officially returned to the club as an assistant coach in 2015. 

Harvey was a triple premiership player with the Bombers and played 206 games and kicked 170 goals in 14 seasons at Windy Hill. 

He was also an assistant coach with Essendon under Kevin Sheedy for eight seasons before he joined Fremantle as an assistant in 2006. 

Harvey went on to coach the Dockers in his own right for five seasons before being sensationally replaced by Ross Lyon at the end of 2011. 

The 49-year-old also served as the Brisbane Lions’ caretaker coach for three games in late 2013 – taking his coaching career tally to 100 games exactly. 

Harvey said he was excited to be returning to Essendon and working closely with the club’s talented list. 

“After a year away from football, I feel really refreshed and energised about the role I can play to help the team succeed," Harvey said. 

“We have some terrific talent on our playing list and I’m looking forward to working closely with Hirdy (senior coach James Hird) and the other coaches to support the players." 

“It’s an exciting time to be back in with the club I love and called home for so many years of my life. Pre-season is less than two weeks away, I can’t wait to get in and start working.” 

Harvey was also a two-time All-Australian, one-time best-and-fairest winner and one-time leading goalkciker during his playing career with the Bombers.

Read more

Tags: AFL, Essendon Bombers, Bombers

Posted: 22 October, 2014

Crows Re-Sign Martin

Wingman re-signs with Adelaide for another season

(Image: AFL Media)

Adelaide has re-signed wingman Brodie Martin to a new one-year contract.  

Martin, who was picked up in the 2008 rookie draft, enjoyed a breakout season in 2014 - playing 17 games. 

Adelaide head of football David Noble said Martin’s pace and skills were valuable. 

“Brodie was able to find some consistency and grew in confidence as the year went on,” Noble said. 

“We are looking for him to take his game to another level in 2015.” 

Martin has played a total of 35 career games in six seasons.

Read more

Tags: AFL, Adelaide Crows, Crows