Posted: 17 September, 2012 by Triple M NRL

Manly Advances To The Preliminary Final After Knocking Cowboys Out But Video Ref The Talking Point

Tags: Manly, cowboys, Video Ref

Johnathan Thurston says the Cowboys was robbed, Video: Fox Sports News

SUNDAY: The two video referees involved in Friday night's controversial game between the Sea Eagles and Cowboys will be axed following the Kieran Foran call which led to a try.

It's expected that video refs Steve Clark and Paul Simpkins will be suspended for two matches, which means their season is effectively over.

Referees boss Stuart Raper said the two referees had to pay the penalty, while a more thorough examination of events will be made tomorrow.

''We've set that standard throughout the year, that if we believe that the video refs have made a mistake that has affected point-scoring aspects… we think are big enough [and] the video ref has to pay the penalty for those decisions,'' he told The Sydney Morning Herald.

SATURDAY: National Rugby League Referees Coaches Stuart Raper and Bill Harrigan have reviewed both benefit of the doubt tries from last night’s match between the Sea Eagles and the Cowboys, concluding that one should not have been awarded.

A review of the try awarded to Michael Oldfield shows that there was enough evidence in the view of the coaches to determine that Kieran Foran did make contact with the ball in the lead-up to the try and that a 'knock-on' should have been awarded.

A review of the try awarded to Jorge Taufua confirmed that ‘benefit of the doubt’ was an appropriate call and that the try should have been awarded.

"We simply have to put our hands up and accept that this is not an acceptable outcome in such an important game," NRL Referees Co-Coach Stuart Raper said today.

"Bill and I have reviewed things this morning and while we accept the video referees were faced with an incredibly tough decision there was sufficient evidence to suggest Foran made contact with the ball."

"That will inevitably lead to the officials in question paying the penalty for that outcome in coming weeks."

FRIDAY: The Manly Sea Eagles have advanced to the preliminary final against the Melbourne Storm next week after beating the North Queensland Cowboys 22-12.

FULL TEXT COMMENTARY: CLICK HERE

The major talking point of the match was Michael Oldfield's important try for the Sea Eagles in the second half.

Manly's Keiran Foran appeared to have knocked it on and most commentators said so. However, the video referee ruled benefit of the doubt try.

 

Earlier On Triple M

Triple Ms Matty Johns says Manly won't get up over the Cowboys and he's just calling it as he sees it.

"This has nothing to do with '97. This has nothing to do with me coming from Newcastle. I'm calling it as I see it," Matty said on Triple M Sydney.

Gus Worland took it upon himself to grill his co-host after his column titled "Manly won't beat the Cowboys – I'm calling as I see it" was front page on The Daily Telegraph this morning.

"How wrong can you be? They're the reigning Premiership champions," a stunned Gus asked.

Matty Johns defended his semi final call saying "Manly fans won't give it to me they love me!".

Enter Grill Team listener and Manly supporter Mark who slammed Matty.

"What are you talking about?! You're kidding yourself, they're the better side,"

When asked by Mark if he's going to the game, Matty replied "mate, I live in Manly, I don't travel," to a chorus of laughs from Gus and MG.

Mark Geyer called the game for the Cowboys too.

"If Jamie Lyons plays their a big chance with injuries but without Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai I'm afraid the Cowboys will prevail."

Gus has picked Manly saying the Cowboys don't travel well.

LISTEN: Matty Calls Manly Loss Vs Cowboys

(Can't play audio above? Download the MP3 here)

@TripleM_NRL @GrillTeam #bringthenoise

Tags: Manly, cowboys, Video Ref

Post a comment

* Indicates required field

(this will be the name displayed on the site)
 

Related Content

To Read Next