Posted: 21 March, 2012 by Madame H

Manly's Tony Williams Cops Seven Week Ban, Available For Origin

Tony Williams will miss the ANZAC Test in New Zealand after Manly accepted a seven week ban for the forward.

Tags: Tony Williams, Manly, Charge, ban, Suspension, Origin, ANZAC Test

Tony Williams will miss the ANZAC Test in New Zealand after Manly accepted a seven week ban for the forward.

The club took an early guilty plea meaning the star will be available for Origin selection when he returns in May. He will however miss the ANZAC Test on April 20 at Eden Park, Auckland.

Ray "Rabs" Warren had earlier told Triple M that "on the richter scale of dangerous tackles that was top end" adding "we can't let people think that that is a part of our game."

Immediately after the game Tony Williams had told Monday Night Football the tackle was "part of footy" but the NRL Judiciary obviously didn't agree handing down the ban at midday AEST.

Speaking to Triple M Sydney Rabs added that "Tony Williams is not aware of the strength he's got" and that in a game that embraces brutality players "don't always have the control of that strength and aggression."

Mark "MG" Geyer said "if we see that tackle once in ten years, it's one time too many," but said Tony Williams was lucky and questioned why he had not been sent off.

"When are we going to use it [send off rule]? That was a perfect incident…where you say ok buddy off you go."

In other news Robbie Farah will miss two matches after taking an early guilty plea for a dangerous tackle.

What do you think about the decision?

Tags: Tony Williams, Manly, Charge, ban, Suspension, Origin, ANZAC Test

Post a comment

* Indicates required field

(this will be the name displayed on the site)
 

Related Content

To Read Next