Thirty years ago, a bloke called George Michael rose from the ashes of his little band Wham!, to release one of the truly great debut albums. Faith dominated charts all over the world and made George a household name (well, even more of a household name).
Original Release Date: October 19, 1987
Peak Chart Positions:
- Australia: 3
- US: 1
- UK: 1
The Track Listing
5 Things You Might Not Know About Faith?
- Just to prove how bloody talented Michael was, not only did he write and produce every track on the album bar one (Look At Your Hands), he also played many of the instruments on the album as well. Now that's talent!
- I Want Your Sex took over the US charts, but caused a bit of a stir in the US because of the song's name. For example, American Top 40 host Casey Kasem refused to refer to the song’s title during broadcast, referring to it only as “...the new single by George Michael.”
- Because of the success of Faith and the multiple of musical influences evident on the album, George Michael was the first Caucasian artist to reach number one on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart.
- Faith won George Michael the Grammy for Best Album of the Year... a massive coup for a debut album.
- It's widely reported that George really struggled with the aspect of fame that came with a monumental hit like Faith. So, he took to wearing sunglasses all the time, to reportedly avoid eye contact with gawkers and avoid a potential breakdown. It sort of became a signature look for him.
Living It Live
You'll have to forgive the quality of the footage and audio, but just imagine being at this gig in 1989. Thousands of Spaniards screaming down the house as Michael hits form. What a legend!
Written by: @dantheinternut