A 53-year-old man has died in Adelaide from meningococcal disease, SA Health has confirmed.
SA Health says the man died on Saturday and had the B strain of the disease which is a form of meningitis with flu-like symptoms.
"Our thoughts are with the man's family, and we urge people to respect their privacy at this time," SA Health said in a statement on Monday.
Four people who have been in contact with the man are advised to begin antibiotic treatment, SA Health said.
So far 18 cases of meningococcal have been reported in SA this year, compared to 13 last year.
Winter and spring were a higher risk for the disease but SA Health says the public aren't at greater risk because of this incident.
"The disease is only spread by close or lengthy contact.
“There is no increased public health risk," it said.