Photo: South Australia
Before you head away over the Easter break make sure you have a read of RAA's handy hints on home security.
- Make sure you lock all windows and doors and deadlock any if possible.
- Put any regular deliveries such as newspapers on hold.
- Have your mail redirected by Australia Post.
- Provide a spare key to a trusted neighbour or family member and ask them to remove any junk mail from your letterbox regularly.
- Ask a trusted neighbour to park their car in your driveway and put your bins in and out.
- Organise a house sitter to look after your home while you’re away.
- Trim your lawn and if you’ll be away for a while, organise for someone to cut it again.
- Move your valuables to another location.
- Set auto timers for light sensors and radios.
- Never leave a holiday message on your answering machine and turn the ring volume down.
- Don’t broadcast that you are away on social media.
- Activate your home security system if you have one.
- Notify your monitoring company with your dates and update emergency contacts if need be.
- Check your insurance is up to date and you are covered at home and while you are away.
- Take time to consider the security and safety of elderly neighbours or relatives.
- If you are driving, don’t leave valuables visible in your car.
For more handy hints on home security over the Easter break head to RAA's website.
- Brad Saegenschnitter