Thousands Of Residents Without Power After Electrical Storm

Strong winds, heavy rain and lightning

Thousands Of Residents Without Power After Electrical Storm

Thousands of South Australian properties remain without power after strong winds, heavy rain and lightning strikes lashed the state.

SA Power Networks said 33,000 customers were without services at 5.30am on Friday, including 27,000 in the metropolitan area.

It said a "major response" was underway but warned some to expect extended outages.

The storm hit late on Thursday, bringing with it severe winds, including some gusts of more than 110km/h.

Post

About 74,000 lightning strikes were also recorded over a two-hour period, with the conditions bringing down trees and power lines across a wide area.

Other damage included fences torn down and roof damage to properties.

Post

The Tour Down Under cycling race reported minor damage to its tour village in the heart of Adelaide, but said there would be no disruption to the race or to access for teams and spectators.

The State Emergency Service said it took more than 100 calls for assistance.

The storm was the latest in a series of severe weather events to hit SA in recent months, including the system that caused the statewide blackout in September last year.

- AAP.

Post
Post
Post

 

;