Two Charged As Police Seize Epic $2 Million Drug Haul

Further charges expected

Two Charged As Police Seize Epic $2 Million Drug Haul Image: SA Police

Two men have been arrested after more than 5kg of ecstasy – with an estimated street value of more than $2 million – was located in a package sent through the post earlier this month.

A total of 5.28kg of methelenedioxymethylamphetamine (also known as MDMA or ecstasy), linked to a SA Police (SAPOL) investigation, was seized at the Australian border by the Australia Border Force (AFP).

SAPOL continued its investigation with the assistance of the AFP, with officers from the Serious and Organised Crime Investigation Branch yesterday arresting a 31-year-old man from Beverley, and a 22-year-old man from Saint Clair.

Both were charged with trafficking in a large commercial quantity of a controlled drug, with a subsequent search allegedly uncovering a clandestine drug laboratory in a Hendon storage facility.

Post

Serious and Organised Crime Branch Chief Inspector Tony Crameri said further charges are expected to be laid in relation to the manufacture of controlled drugs and identity theft.

“These arrests follow co-operation at state and national level by several policing agencies and should act as a further warning to those who would seek to import drugs or chemicals in the post,” he said.

"We would estimate that once manufactured into pills, this seizure would have an estimated street value of more than $2 million."

ABF Acting Regional Commander Matthew O’Connor said this is yet another example of an ABF detection leading to a successful investigation by our state and federal partners and ultimately a number of arrests.

“Thanks to the dedication of our officers, who screen millions of international mail items each year, we have stopped a significant amount of drugs from reaching the South Australian community,” he said.

Police say a search at a residential premises at Wingfield also located $290,300 in cash suspected to be the proceeds of crime.

In addition to drug trafficking, the 31-year-old man has been charged with money laundering. He has been refused bail and is expected to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court today.

The younger man has been granted bail and is expected to appear in the Port Adelaide Magistrates Court on September 11.

Post
;