Latest from DFES (2.30PM):
Bushfire WATCH AND ACT for eastern part of ELLEKER in CITY OF ALBANY
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people west of Prescottvale Road, east of Lake Powell and Elleker-Grasmere Road and south of Lower Denmark Road in the eastern part of ELLEKER in the CITY OF ALBANY.
- There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is burning within containment lines towards Lake Powell Reserve.
- You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
- The fire started near the intersection of ELLEKER-GRASMERE ROAD and LOWER DENMARK ROAD in ELLEKER.
WHAT TO DO:
- If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
- If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
- If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
Bushfire ADVICE for ELLEKER in the CITY OF ALBANY
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people south of Lower Denmark Road, east of Mutton Bird Road and west of Lake Powell Road in the town of ELLEKER and surrounding areas in the CITY OF ALBANY.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near the intersection of ELLEKER-GRASMERE RD and LOWER DENMARK RD in ELLEKER.
WHAT TO DO:
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is moving slowly in a westerly direction.
- It is contained but not controlled.
- Conditions in the area are changing
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
Elleker-Grassmere Road from Mutton Bird Road to Lower Denkmark Road, however it is open to local traffic only.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the City of Albany.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are on the scene, actively fighting the fire.
- 40 Parks and Wildlife Service, Bush Fire Service firefighters are attending.
- Aerial support has been sent to assist ground crews.
- The fire was reported at 06:09 AM on 1 February 2018 and currently there has been 14 hectares burnt.
- The cause of the fire is unknown.
- People are asked to report any suspicious behaviour to Police Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
- City of Albany is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE: