The Bureau of Meteorology has put out a severe weather warning for damaging winds with gusts up to 100 km/h and possible thunderstorms.
VicRoads is using the opportunity to remind motorists about safe driving in extreme weather, especially the need to slow down once roadways are drenched.
- Leave a greater distance between vehicles
- Increase awareness of other road users
- Switch low beam headlights on
- If visibility is greatly reduced, pull over to wait out the downpour
- Trailers should be made extra secure especially in gusty conditions on highways
- Patience is important
If trees or branches have fallen on the road call the SES on 132 500.