A 99-year-old war veteran is lucky to be alive after fire destroyed a Salisbury home overnight, on Brisbane's southside.
Bob, the owner, was reportedly cooking dinner in the kitchen of his Chalfont Street home just after 7pm on Sunday when the stove top caught alight, engulfing the back of the place very quickly.
Neighbours heard him screaming out for help and rushed over to assist, sadly it's believed Bob's beloved dogs, Oscar and Peppy, perished in the blaze.
It took three fire crews about 45 minutes to bring the fire under control, they braved the flamed to retrieve a few of Bob's precious war medals.
He was transported to the QEII Hospital in a stable condition, suffering smoke inhalation.
The Salisbury community is now rallying about the local hero, with dozens taking to the local community page on Facebook to offer him a place to stay, a fundraiser is reportedly also being organised to help get Bob back on his feet.