The Bureau of Meteorology has released a severe thunderstorm warning for residents in the Gympie, South Burnett, Redland City and Brisbane City Council Areas.
The BOM statement is as follows:
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 4:35 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near southern waters of Moreton Bay and Mud Island. These thunderstorms are moving towards the southwest. They are forecast to affect Manly, Wynnum and Brisbane Airport by 5:05 pm and Brisbane CBD, Tingalpa Reservoir and Camp Hill by 5:35 pm.
Heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding is likely.
Chandler had 58mm in the 30 minutes to 4:25pm.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 5:30 pm.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for parts of the Central Highlands and Coalfields, Capricornia, Wide Bay and Burnett, Darling Downs and Granite Belt and Southeast Coast districts.
The BOM has reminded residents to keep up to date with warnings through their website or by calling 1300 659 219.