Tributes flow for fallen lifesaver

Died on Ocean Beach yesterday.

Tributes flow for fallen lifesaver

Tributes continue to flow for a widely respected surf lifesaving volunteer, who passed away after suffering a medical emergency on Ocean beach yesterday.

SLS reports 45 year old David Isaacs was participating in a weekly social swim when he got into difficulty at around 830am.

"Our sincere condolences and thoughts and prayers are with his wife, their three children plus all his family and friends at this sad time," wrote one local in a closed facebook group.

"David was friends with many and part of the Lifesaving community and a loving family man. His passing is a huge loss to so many."


More from Surf Lifesaving NSW:

After being pulled unconscious from the water volunteer surf lifesavers sprung into action to treat the patient who was not breathing. Fortunately the club members were present in the vicinity as they were preparing for their morning patrol. As a result CPR treatment was able to commence within minutes.

The State Operations Centre was also advised of the incident and alerted police and paramedics who were also tasked to the scene.

Paramedics took over treatment and the man was transported to hospital but he was unable to be revived. Ocean Beach Director of Lifesaving Katie Dixon said the lifesavers involved did a fantastic job under extremely difficult circumstances.

“This medical situation was an extremely challenging incident for our members who never gave up and reacted exactly the way their training prepared them to.

“Unfortunately it wasn’t the outcome we wanted but the paramedics and staff at the hospital also praised the efforts of the lifesavers involved and they can take pride in the fact that their professionalism and dedication meant he had at least a chance,” she said.

The Ocean Beach members involved will participate in a critical incident debrief as part of the standard operating procedures following a serious incident.

Investigations into the circumstances surrounding the incident are continuing with a report to be prepared for the coroner.