Five People Hospitalised Following Chemical Smell at Boambee Swim School

Get the latest at triplem.com.au

Five People Hospitalised Following Chemical Smell at Boambee Swim School

UPDATE:

Management at the Boambee Swimcare Swim School have piece of mind after discovering the cause of an early morning odour that saw the facility evacuated.

An air conditioning unit was to blame, not the pool water balance.

Troy from Swimcare spoke with Triple M to advise that after various testing of the water, which all came back clear, it was discovered this afternoon that one of the bearings in the air conditioning unit nearby had caused the belt to cease and create the strong odour.

"The best thing for me is, we found a problem and now it's rectified" Troy told Triple M.

"At first I thought it was a water chemistry problem, but my tests, and another test with Poolwerx and Council all come back with the water balance as perfect" he said.

With classes already held two hours prior to the alert of the smell, it had baffled the staff at teh pool with testing regularly conducted each morning before swimmers enter the pool.

Emergency Services were alerted to the smell just after 9am, he said that by the time the Firefighters arrived with their testing gear the smell had disappeared leaving them all confused as to the cause.

Five people were taken to hospital as a precaution for observation before being discharged a short time later.

***

Two adults and three children were transported to Coffs Harbour Base Hospital in a stable condition after a chemical incident at the Swimcare swim school in Boambee.

Emergency Crews were called to the Middle Boambee Road facility just after 9am after reports of a strong chemical smell.

NSW Ambulance Media told Triple M that paramedics treated 13 individuals at the scene before transporting 5 people to hospital.

Two of the children were aged 23 months and 19 months. All have since been discharged.

According to Fire and Rescue NSW, Hazmat crews worked with the RFS to determine where the source of the smell was coming from, believed to be in the Chemical Room.

The centre remained closed during the morning as the investigation continues. However a message on the school's Facebook confirmed that they were opening again as normal in the afternoon.

One of the mothers who was taken to hospital spoke to Triple M to commend the professional manner the swim school went to ensuring the safety of all the patrons.

;