Stop-work Order Lifted at Toowoomba Second Range Crossing Viaduct

work has resumed

Stop-work Order Lifted at Toowoomba Second Range Crossing Viaduct Image: Nexus

Work has resumed on the largest bridge under construction on the Toowoomba Second Range Crossing.

Transport and Main Roads Director General Neil Scales said the stop-work order was lifted at 5pm on Saturday 2 June after contractor Nexus provided a detailed plan for managing the health and safety of workers working on elevated structures.

“The Department ordered work to stop on the viaduct because we felt safety practices on site were not being properly followed, putting workers at risk,” Mr Scales said.

“Over the past few weeks, Nexus has put measures in place to prevent future incidents around working at height, outlined in an improved safety plan.

“We have reviewed that revised plan and have been reassured that Nexus has taken the right steps to comprehensively manage health and safety risks at the viaduct.”

The State Government suspended work at piers 2 and 3 of the viaduct from 1 May after steel-reinforcing bars fell from a low-height onto a vehicle. There were no injuries.

Mr Scales said the $1.6 billion Toowoomba Second Range Crossing project would deliver national economic benefits through greater freight efficiency and driver safety, and relieve pressure on Toowoomba’s roads.

“Despite the reported delay arising from a geotechnical issue that was identified earlier this year, all other works will be completed in line with the original time frame,” he said.

“We are starting to see this once-in-a-generation project take shape with traffic travelling on recently opened sections of the crossing.”

Earthworks are more than 95 per cent complete, bridges and structures are more than 90 per cent complete and surfacing with foamed bitumen is more than 30 per cent complete.

WATCH HERE to view the progress:



 

 

Missed today's show?  Catch up here!

;