TRC Reminds Residents to Extinguish Hot Ashes Before Disposal

a recipe for disaster

TRC Reminds Residents to Extinguish Hot Ashes Before Disposal

We're being reminded to make sure hot ashes are extinguished before putting them in our rubbish bins.

Toowoomba Regional Council is asking home owners to think before they bin and keep gas bottles, fire extinguishers, corrosive chemicals and large car batteries out of rubbish bins.

TRC Water and Waste Services portfolio leader Cr Bill Cahill said hot ashes can be a common cause of fire at waste facilities.

“It is preferable not to place ashes and coals from household fireplaces in a household bin or dispose of them at a waste facility. They can be put to better use in the garden to rejuvenate soil,” Cr Cahill said.

“The potential for ashes to reignite can pose a potential safety hazard. Completely douse ashes or coals with water to ensure they are saturated and cold before considering placing them in a general household waste bin or taking to a waste facility.

“Other potentially flammable items should not be placed in household collection bins including gas bottles, fire extinguishers, corrosive chemicals and car or large batteries.

“While these items might not pose a problem if collected individually, when combined and compacted as part of the collection process and mixed with other waste and air, an extremely combustible environment is created.”

Cr Cahill said residents could seek help from waste facility staff when disposing of ashes.

 Missed today's show?  Catch up here!

 

;