The annual Gold Coast Australia Day Awards have been handed out to a group of six extraordinary locals this year.
Mayor Tom Tate presented the awards at a ceremony at Q1 on Thursday night.
The big award of the night Gold Coast Citizen of the Year went to Karen Phillips, a journalist and public relations specialist, who has helped raise $2 million for charities.
Here are the rest of the winners:
- The Gold FM Community Service Award - Ironman Trevor Hendy
- Environmental Achievement Award - Dr Michael Pyne from Currumbin Wildlife Hospital
- Cultural Achievement Award - artist Lisa Sorbie Martin
- Sports Achievement Award - Olympic gold medallist Sally Pearson
- Young Citizen of the Year - Madison Birtchnell