A weather warning is current for Kalgoorlie Boulder, Esperance, Norseman Coolgardie Kambalda Esperance and more for Saturday afternoon Nov 18.
Take action with severe thunderstorms coming in parts of the Goldfields-Midlands, Great Southern
If you live in the South East Coastal and parts of Goldfields and Eucla districts. you should take action and stay safe with severe thunderstorms to come.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area up until 10:00pm Saturday evening. Locations which may be affected include Esperance, Kalgoorlie, Norseman, Ravensthorpe, Rawlinna and Salmon Gums
This weather is not unusual for this time of year, but could damage homes and make travel dangerous.
WHAT TO DO:
DFES advises you to:
- If outside find safe shelter away from trees, powerlines, storm water drains and streams.
- Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
- Unplug electrical appliances and avoid using landline telephones if there is lightning.
- If there is flooding, create your own sandbags by using pillow cases filled with sand and place them around doorways to protect your home.
- If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
- Do not drive into water of unknown depth and current.
- Slow down, turn your lights on and keep a safe distance from other drivers.
- Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen powerlines and loose debris.
- If it is raining heavily and you cannot see, pull over and park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears.
People are being urged to do what they can to help themselves, if it is safe to do so, before calling the SES for assistance
Bureau of Meteorology advised At 10:10am satellite and radar imagery showed thunderstorms occurring through the warning area. A potentially severe thunderstorm is located 100km to the west of Kalgoorlie moving to the southeast. Another potentially severe thunderstorm is located 30km to the northwest of Esperance and is moving to the southeast. This thunderstorm may impact Esperance after 10:30am on Saturday.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Some roads may be closed(Insert general information about road conditions eg: Powerlines have been reported across roads in (general area), Main Roads advises that several traffic lights are out. Expect delays until normal traffic conditions are restored.)
Take extra care on the roads and do not drive into water of unknown depth and current.
Road information may also be available by calling Main Roads WA on 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au or your local Shire.
WHAT EMERGENCY SERVICES ARE DOING:
- DFES is monitoring the situation.
IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE:
- If your home has been badly damaged by a storm, call the SES on 132 500
- In a life threatening situation call 000
After a storm SES volunteers make temporary repairs to homes that have been badly damaged, such as roofs that have been ripped off or large fallen trees on homes or cars. Please contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.