If you live in Gascoyne, Goldfields and parts of Pilbara and Central Wheat Belt districts, you should take action and stay safe with thunderstorms to come.
Locations which may be affected include Kalgoorlie, Meekatharra, Mount Magnet, Paraburdoo, Tom Price and Wiluna.
The overall weather pattern is not unusual for this time of year but severe weather may occur in some parts of the warning area.
WHAT TO DO:
DFES advises you to:
- If outside find safe shelter away from trees, powerlines, storm water drains and streams.
- Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
- Unplug electrical appliances and avoid using landline telephones if there is lightning.
- If there is flooding, create your own sandbags by using pillow cases filled with sand and place them around doorways to protect your home.
- If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
- Do not drive into water of unknown depth and current.
- Slow down, turn your lights on and keep a safe distance from other drivers.
- Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen powerlines and loose debris.
- If it is raining heavily and you cannot see, pull over and park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears.
- Take care in areas that have been flooded and be careful driving on gravel roads as surfaces will be slippery and muddy, and vehicles could become bogged
Take extra care on the roads and do not drive into water of unknown depth and current.
Road information may also be available by calling Main Roads WA on 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting your local Shire.
IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE:
- If your home has been badly damaged by a storm, call the SES on 132 500
- In a life threatening situation call 000