A terrorist plot to blow up Melbourne's Queen Victoria Market was foiled by members of a British family who pretended to be a willing recruit.
A man, who claimed to be part of an overseas terrorist network, sent encrypted texts and voice files with instructions on how to set off a bomb at the market to the 'recruit' over five months.
But the recruit was actually a British-based family of "amateur jihadi hunters" and the correspondence was forwarded to the Australian Federal Police and Victoria Police, The Herald-Sun reported on Tuesday.
A Victoria Police spokesman said the matter was assessed and it was determined they posed no threat.
"Our teams regularly receive information from various sources and carefully assess that information based on validity and risk," the spokesman said.
"These matters were assessed earlier this year in accordance with that process and it was determined that they pose no threat in Australia."
The plot apparently involved making a car bomb and driving it at a crowded corner of the market.