Cheltenham residents are being told to prepare to evacuate as an out of control grassfire spreads in the area.
The fire which is at Park Road, in Cheltenham is travelling in a southeasterly direction towards Glebe Ave. The MFB expect it to reach the golf course.
Emergency services are currently attending the fire, which broke out at 2.13pm this afternoon. Crews arrived on scene within 3 minutes to find a large grass and scrub fire burning out of control.
Initial reports were for a fire 1 acre in size also involving trees and bushland. It has now grown considerably in size and spread across a large area. The fire is travelling in a Southerly direction.
MFB currently have crews protecting properties to the South around Glebe and Victor Avenue. CFA crews and Vicpol are also on scene assisting.
The public is asked to avoid Park Rd and Charman rd where possible
What should residents do?
- Act now - take immediate action to protect your life and property.
- Collect together medicines, important documents, mementos, photos and pets and take these with you if you evacuate.
- Have three days' supply of clothing and medication packed and ready to go.
- If possible, make sure your neighbours are aware of the situation and check if they need help.
- Check the VicRoads website for road closures.
If evacuation is necessary:
- You can go to friends or family in a safer location.
Directions and routes:
- The safest evacuation route is: Charman Rd.
- There may be no power, water, sewerage or telephone services.
You may not be able to call for help in an emergency.
Call the VicEmergency Hotline to talk to someone about this warning on freecall 1800 226 226.