RMIT Forced To Evacuate After Gas Leak

Just in.

RMIT Forced To Evacuate After Gas Leak Image: Google Maps

RMIT's city campus has been forced to evacuate after a gas leak, with the area now deemed safe.

Students and staff were forced out of the building on Saturday afternoon and the area was closed down after a hazardous smell of fumes was noticed.

The building, as well as nearby La Trobe St, was closed down while firefighters investigated.

Emergency services have declared the substance was not hazardous.

"The hazard at RMIT Building 8, Latrobe St Melbourne is now safe," he said.

"Emergency Services have conducted testing and can confirm the substance is not hazardous."

;