100 Evacuated In Newcastle, After Lamb Chops Spark Fire

One man suffered smoke inhalation

100 Evacuated In Newcastle, After Lamb Chops Spark Fire

Up to 100 people were forced to evacuate a Newcastle West apartment block last night, following a fire sparked by some lamb chops left on a stove.

Police say a 68 year old man fell asleep while cooking his dinner, resulting in his eighth floor unit filling with smoke.

Firefighters rushed to Bellevue Street just before 10pm, and forced their way into the unit where they found the man wandering around disorientated.

They quickly contained the blaze, with the unit suffering smoke damage.

The man was treated for smoke inhalation.

Residents were allowed back to their units at around 10:30pm.

;