A medical researcher, a doctor for the homeless, champions for women and seniors, an Aboriginal storyteller, sportspeople using their profile to make a difference and a life-long pillar of the community are among the nominees for the 2018 Western Australia Australian of the Year Awards.
The nominees are as follows:
2018 WESTERN AUSTRALIA AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR
- Dr Nick Gottardo – Paediatric oncologist & brain cancer researcher (Perth)
- Danny Green – Anti-violence advocate & sportsman (Perth)
- Jaqueline Mills – Advocate for people with disabilities (Bassendean)
- Dr Tracy Westerman – Psychologist (Perth)
2018 WESTERN AUSTRALIA SENIOR AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR
- Dr Betsy Buchanan – Aboriginal legal & welfare advocate (Anglican)
- Raymond Harrington OAM – Farmer & inventor (Darkan)
- Kathleen Mazzella OAM – Women’s health champion (Perth)
- Hugh Rogers – Seniors’ champion (Westminster)
2018 WESTERN AUSTRALIA YOUNG AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR
- Jeffrey Effendi – Social entrepreneur & humanitarian (Perth)
- Rahila Haidary – Refugee & human rights advocate (Perth)
- Greg Hire – Basketball player & youth mental health advocate (Edgewater)
- Samantha Kerr – Sportsperson (Fremantle)
2018 WESTERN AUSTRALIA LOCAL HERO
- Dr Andrew Davies – Doctor helping homeless people (West Leederville)
- Reginald Lambert – Community stalwart (Mandurah)
- Cr Peter Lyndon-James – Addiction treatment specialist (Henley Brook)
- Tyson Mowarin – Aboriginal storyteller (Pilbara)
Award winners will be announced at a function next Wednesday 22 November at Government House, Perth.
The Western Australia Award recipients will then join a cohort of 32 State and Territory recipients from around Australia in the national Awards, which will be held in Canberra on 25 January 2018.
Congratulations to all the nominees and good luck for the big award ceremony next week.