The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
Bushfire WATCH AND ACT for parts of AUGUSTA, DEEPDENE and HAMELIN BAY in the SHIRE OF AUGUSTA-MARGARET RIVER
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people bounded south of Hamelin Bay Road West to Chapman Road, west of Vansittard Road and the Blackwood River, north of Hillview Road and east of the coastline in Augusta, Deepdene and Hamelin Bay in the Shire of Augusta Margaret River.
- There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching in the area and conditions are changing.
- You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
- The fire started near BUSSELL HWY and Westbay Retreat Caravan Park in AUGUSTA. It is burning on both sides of Bussel Highway.
WHAT TO DO:
- If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
- If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
- If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
Bushfire ADVICE for surrounding areas of the SHIRE OF AUGUSTA-MARGARET RIVER
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people in areas including Karridale, Kudardup, Molloy Island, East Augusta and surrounding areas in the SHIRE OF AUGUSTA-MARGARET RIVER.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
WHAT TO DO:
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is moving slowly in a northerly direction.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
- Your safest option may be to visit family or friends who live away from the area.
- Margaret River Cultural Centre and Augusta Centennial Hall evacuation centres have been closed. please contact Department of Communities on 0418 943 835 for evacuation centre assistance.
- If you find sick or injured wildlife contact Karen from FAWNA on 0420 656 846 for assistance.
If you are in an area south of the fire and plan to leave, you need to go Augusta. If you are north of the fire and plan to leave, you need to go to Margaret River.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
- Bussell Highway is closed between Kadardup Road and Donovan Street.
- Challis Road is closed between West Bay Creek Road and Bussell Highway.
- Caves Road is closed between Greenhill Road and Bussell Highway.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR by contacting the SHIRE OF AUGUSTA-MARGARET RIVER.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are actively fighting the fire, strengthening containment lines, conducting backburning and defending property.
- 80 career, Parks and Wildlife Service, volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Service firefighters are attending.
- Aerial support cannot operate in the dark and have been released from the incident. If needed they will return at first light..
- The fire was reported at 01:14 PM on 29 January 2018 and currently there has been 80 hectares hectares burnt.
- Telephone, text and voice messages have been issued.
- The cause of the fire is unknown.
- The Shire of Augusta-Margaret River is managing the fire.
Register with Register.Find.Reunite. to let your family and loved ones know you’re OK via www.redcross.org.au from any computer or mobile device or in person at the evacuation centre.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.