Up to 50 Firefighters have battled a blaze this afternoon in Bunbury.
A bushfire ADVICE has now been issued for those in Glen Iris and Picton East after the authorities were able to contain the fire.
The fire was first reported just before 3pm today, with firies on the scene soon after, when it started at the intersection of Sutherland Way and Giorgi Road in Picton East.
The fire is currently burning slowly in a northwesterly direction, and is still not controlled, but now contained.
People in Glen Iris and East Picton are asked to keep alert of any signs of fire.
Willenge Drive between Windsor Street and Thomson Road remains closed.
Full details from DFES below
Bushfire ADVICE for Glen Iris and Picton East in CITY OF BUNBURY
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people between Glen Iris and Picton East in the City of Bunbury.
- There is no threat to lives or homes.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near the intersection of SUTHERLAND WAY and GIORGI RD in PICTON EAST.
WHAT TO DO:
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is moving slowly in a north westerly direction.
- It is contained but not controlled.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
- Willenge Drive between Winsor Street and Thomson Road.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR by contacting the CITY OF BUNBURY.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are mopping up and strengthening containment lines.
- 50 volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Service firefighters are attending.
- WA Police are also in attendance.
- The fire was reported at 02:58 PM on 2 December 2017.
- The cause of the fire is unknown.
- DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE: