Chaotic Scenes After Three Men Were Stabbed In A Violent Park Brawl In NSW


Chaotic Scenes After Three Men Were Stabbed In A Violent Park Brawl In NSW

A father trying to help his teenage son during a wild brawl in northern NSW has been stabbed to death on his birthday.

A 22-year-old man, who police have confirmed was on parole, is facing murder charges over the Murwillumbah attack on Tuesday afternoon.

Charlie Larter, 46, was reportedly trying to save his 18-year-old son after the melee broke out at Knox Park, according to News Corp.

Police on Wednesday refused to confirm the circumstances of Mr Larter's death, saying their investigation remained in a preliminary stage.

"The motive and the cause behind what happened yesterday is something which we'll be focusing our investigations on today and going forward," Detective Inspector Brendon Cullen told reporters in Tweed Heads on Wednesday.

He said he knew at least one of the victims but refused to comment on speculation the brawl was drug-related.

Det Insp Cullen said despite the Murwillumbah police station being unmanned at the time of the attack, police had been on the scene within three minutes of being called.

He also denied such brawls were a frequent concern for residents of the town.

"There is no concern for crime in Murwillumbah. I'm assuring the people of Murwillumbah that they have a police presence there which is serving their community well," he said.

In mobile phone footage from the scene, a woman can be heard screaming: "Get over here now, hurry up. My husband can't breathe!"

Mr Larter was taken to Tweed Heads Hospital but later died.

It was his birthday, according to his sister who posted on social media.

"Well your last words to me this morning were I love you and mine to you -I love you. Way too young to die on your birthday RIP little brother," Cathy Larter wrote on Tuesday.

Mr Larter's 18-year-old son Zack was stabbed in the chest and taken to Gold Coast University Hospital in a critical condition.

After undergoing emergency treatment on Tuesday evening he is now listed as being in a serious but stable condition, a hospital spokeswoman told AAP on Wednesday.

A third stabbing victim, aged 29, suffered minor injuries during the attack, police said.

The 22-year-old was arrested near the scene and charged with murder, two counts of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and larceny on Tuesday night.

The accused man will face Tweed Heads Local Court later on Wednesday.