Sydney Man Who Became Ill After Eating A Slug Passes Away

Awful news

Sydney Man Who Became Ill After Eating A Slug Passes Away Supplie

A Sydney man who contracted a disease after swallowing slug for a dare has passed away.

Sam Ballard, from Sydney’s upper north shore, ate the slug after he was dared by friends in 2010.

After a few days symptoms started to appear, and he was later discovered to have contracted rat lungworm – a disease usually found in rodents.

Sam also contracted eosinophilic meningo-encephalitis, which while many people recover from, Sam did not. 

After more than a year in a coma, he awoke with a  brain injury and last week, eight years after he fell ill, Sam passed away.

He was remembered on The Sunday Project last night, as  Lisa Wilkinson broke the news.

Post
;