by Al Plath from Triple M's Dave Noonan Show
How time flies when you're a Hobartian!!
Six months down and I feel like I've done more in that time than I have in years. When does a newbie to Hobart sleep?? Talk about Festivous!!! MoFo, Faux Mo, Taste, Hobart Cup, Regatta, Spiegeltent, Wooden Boats, cheese of goats !!!!!!
Just two weeks into my move to Hobart I dropped in to 'Wrest Point' for what I thought would be some rest and reprieve.......clearly I had no idea. Was greeted by Barnesy screaming his Working Class tonsils out, then backed it up the following night with 8 Aussie rock music legends at 107.3 Live and it hasn’t stopped since!!! Give me strength.....HOBART KNOWS HOW TO PARTY !!!!!!!!!!! I presume the number one selling product in Hobart is berocca.
It now makes more sense to me now why everyone in Tassie's so nice. You have to be. Everyone's running on about 2 hours sleep! If people weren't next level nice to each other there could be another new festival on the cards ...Cranky MoFo :P
Genuinely though, I think that was the first thing that struck me about Hobart - the people. Within days I'd really noticed that people make an effort to interact and connect with you. I honestly don't think I've ever been to another city where I've been taken aback by how many people will really look you in the eye and say hi. My hubby Steve always gives me stick about being on a permanent recruitment drive for new friends.....to him I say, “get over it Darl”, Hobartians are impossible to NOT recruit!!!
I swear people bent over backwards to welcome me, a total stranger, the second they found out I was new to town and had no mates #desperado. So in no particular order and no, I'm not sponsored by anyone listed below…..special new recruit mentions must go to :-
- my neighbour Sean who looks out for me and fills me in on all things going down locally
- my touch footy family @Phantoms_TFC (thanks for turning a blind eye to my lack of fitness)
- my AFL footy family at Lindisfarne
- Lisa from Lorna Jane who cooked me a bangin chicken pie & took me to the races
- My lovely/hilarious/troublemaking new hairdresser Benny from rebel@heart hair.....in fact the entire salon staff are liquid gold, it's realistically my second home.
- Lucy from St Albi - this girl's going places
- Jake from Elizabeth St Telstra/fellow newbie who's loving Hobart too - best customer service ever and made his Rugby debut for the mighty Taroona Penguins - now my favourite union team
- Anyone who has served me at LivEat #obsessed
- Bald Guy from All aerobics - I loathe training but your establishment makes me loathe it a teency bit less
- Mr Dave Noonan of The Dave Noonan Show For Breakfast. I'd possibly be off air tomorrow if I didn't throw this one in (insert eye roll emoji) #loveyoudave
Have actually surprised myself to feel so at home here and I know it's largely to do with my Triple M family and my new recruits with hopefully many more to come.
At the end of the day, no matter where we go or what our work and living situations are, it's always the people that matter the most, have the biggest impact on our state of being and make the best and most lasting memories.
Thanks Hobart, loving life here :) x