Last week Lisa and Pete talked to a Perth legend who vowed to ride to Rotto in the attempt to raise enough money to fund the building of a school in Cambodia. Kohen Grogan, we salute you.
In case you missed the interview, here it is:
Well, we're happy to report that Kohen absolutely smashed this world first attempt, leaving Cottesloe at 7am on Saturday and completing the journey in 3 hours 24 minutes.
Here's what Kohen had to say about the achievement:
"It was definitely challenging. When I announced I was going to do it in April I had absolutely no clue how I was going to pull it off, I didn't have the hydrobike and was incredibly unfit. Despite these obstacles I was determined to make it happen and did it"
Here are some key points out of what Kohen actually achieved:
- Raised $13,146.50 so far
- Along with 9 other Perth business owners raising funds, they will educate circa 4,000 children over the next 20 years with the new school
- The school will be located in a remote area of Cambodia, 100 kilometres north of Siem Reap
- They're not just building a school, it will also have clean drinking water facilities and toilets/sanitation, which are things this community don't currently have
- They are also building a solar station where local community members can pay a small fee to charge their batteries with the money going back to the school to keep it sustainable and reinvest in what they need
- The Cambodian government will provide the teachers, and they will fund further training to improve the level of teaching delivered to the children
- The project will bring roughly 1.5 Million dollars in economic growth to the area over the next 20 years
We can't congratulate you enough Kohen. Well done!
Written by: @dantheinternut