Thumb Injury Sidelines Wood

Jay Clark with the latest

Thumb Injury Sidelines Wood Getty Images

Triple M Footy’s Jay Clark is reporting that gun North Melbourne forward Mason Wood will be sidelined for a few weeks after injuring himself in last week’s intra-club match.

Wood hurt his thumb during the hitout on Friday at Arden Street. Scans have revealed he suffered a crack in the digit, but luckily he will not require surgery.


“He doesn’t require surgery and the crack is very small and the injury overall, a minor one,” North Melbourne football manager Cameron Joyce said.

“We expect him to be available for Round 1 as he’ll be able to complete all of the strength and conditioning components of the program.”

Wood will be restricted from any contact until he’s cleared by North’s medical staff.

“We’re probably looking at a period of about three weeks where he’ll be limited in terms of contact, but he will be able to do most things and we don’t think it will have a major impact on his readiness for the season opener," Joyce said.

“He’s had an excellent pre-season up until now and that should hold him in good stead.”

The talented 24-year-old was restricted to just 10 games in 2017 due to hamstring, knee and calf issues.

Injury also cruelled his 2016 campaign. He has only played 26 games since being drafted in 2012.