England has decided star all-rounder Ben Stokes will not travel to Australia with the rest of the squad on October 28 for the Ashes.
However, no final decision on his availability has been made by the England and Wales Cricket Board as of yet.
"Ben Stokes, though no final decision has been taken on his involvement in Australia," an ECB statement read.
Stokes is under police investigation for his involvement in a fight outside a nightclub last month, for which he was arrested but released without charge.
Fast bowler Steven Finn has been added to the squad to fill the void.
England cricket director Andrew Strauss explained the decision on Friday.
"With the Ashes just around the corner, it’s important to give the players, the coaching staff and supporters some clarity around a complex situation," Strauss said in a statement.
"This decision will help us in the weeks ahead and give every player and the whole England set-up the best chance to focus on the challenge ahead in Australia."
He backed in Finn as an addition.
"Steven (Finn) is a high-quality cricketer, with considerable experience of both international cricket and Australian conditions," he said.
"The selectors believe he will add to the range of options and the squad will be further supported by the arrival of the Lions in Australia in November."
Stokes, despite the investigation, has still been awarded a central contract by the ECB.
Strauss said Stokes has not been prejudiced because of this.
“We have spoken to Ben and assured him that our decision in no way prejudges the outcome of the ongoing police investigation or cricket discipline commission process, as can be seen by the award of central contracts," he said.