Photo: Getty Images
The rugby league career of Newcastle star Jarrod Mullen is all but over after confirmation of a second positive test to a banned anabolic steroid.
The NRL confirmed on Tuesday it had been informed by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Agency that Mullen's B-sample tested positive to steroid Drostanolone.
The Knights playmaker has now been issued with a Notice of Alleged Anti-Doping Rule Violation and is looking at a maximum four-year ban, all but ending the 29-year-old's career.
Mullen has an opportunity to appeal the latest developments, however it seems it is over for the former NSW State of Origin representative.
"We obviously remain disappointed with what has transpired but we will continue to respect the process and monitor Jarrod's welfare," Knights CEO Matt Gidley said in a statement.
Mullen had been provisionally suspended by the governing body since mid-January after a pre-season test came back positive late last year.
The Knights playmaker had been battling a series of hamstring injuries in recent seasons and again suffered a re-tear during a training session in November.
Photo: Getty Images
NRL CEO Todd Greenberg told AAP last month he was saddened by Mullen's drugs saga.
""Anyone who loses a career, it's disappointing for them, and ultimately disappointing for the game. But there are always consequences for poor decisions," Greenberg said.
"We do a huge amount of education and players need to make good choices and when they don't and they take risks, there are massive consequences."
With Mullen under contract until the end of next season, a likely termination could open a reported $750,000 on the Knights' salary cap to spend on bolstering their roster.
Mullen has played 211 games for the Knights since making his debut for the club in 2005, representing the Blues on one occasion.
For all the latest and best Triple M NRL news, download the Triple M NRL App