The Canberra Raiders have suspended fullback Jack Wighton for six weeks following his involvement in an incident earlier this year.
The Raiders released this statement late this evening:
The Canberra Raiders Board of Directors have met, following the latest appearance of Jack Wighton in the ACT Magistrates Court.
Wighton's sentencing hearing in the Galambany Court has been set down for November 14, with the Raiders Board of directors handing down a six-match suspension following their own internal analysis of the situation.
The Raiders Board have taken into account a range of facts in determining the sentence, including Wighton's health and wellbeing, his rehabilitation program, his upcoming community work with PCYC Canberra, and his future Court sentencing.
Canberra Raiders Chairman Dr Allan Hawke said the Canberra Raiders would continue to work with Jack to ensure he's taking the appropriate measures in his rehabilitation, and the punishment handed down by the Board considered all factors involved.
"We will continue to work with Jack to help him address the issues he's facing, his welfare, his wellbeing and his rehabilitation," Dr Hawke said. "Jack has already taken some positive steps in this process and we will continue to ensure he's doing everything he can to continue in this direction."
Dr Hawke said the Raiders would continue to take a strong stance on player behaviour, but were also mindful that every situation is different.
"We don't condone Jack's actions and we've been transparent and upfront during this whole process," Dr Hawke said. "Our Club has taken a strong stance on issues like this in the past and our track record on dealing with player behaviour is on the public record.
"After reviewing all of the facts surrounding this incident we firmly stand by our decision and the punishment handed down."