There’s no denying it summer is literally around the corner. While it’s close to 80 something days away, West Coast Aussies know that Summer usually kicks off in November. It’s what we know as the greatest time of the year. The warm weather delivers balmy nights and frequent visits to your local watering pool. But this wonderful season is unusually tainted with nasty bushfires.
So, are you ready for the threatening flames?
According to the authorities, this season could be a shocker. Given the dry autumn weather conditions and increased fuel loads, the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) says the fire risk is high throughout the State. The greatest threats are in the South West, western parts of the Great Southern, south east coastal parts of the Goldfields Midlands and parts of the Pilbara and north Midwest Gascoyne.
DFES Deputy Commissioner Lloyd Bailey said, the conditions could bring devastating bushfires and it was important everyone prepare themselves and their properties as early as possible.
What to do?
- Get out the pen and paper, write down your bushfire survival plan.
- Take action to reduce the fuel loads and potential fire dangers around your home.
- Tell your friends, families, and neighbours about your plan.
- Pay attention to environmental signs and look out for each other.
- Residents and people traveling through risk areas over the bushfire period are advised to monitor and respond to bushfire advice and warnings.
For more tips on preparing your family and home: www.emergency.wa.gov.au/prepare