Here's How To Brace Yourself For The 2021/2022 Storm & Cyclone Season
Time to prepare is now!
Storm & cyclone season officially starts at the end of October, which means it's time to buckle down and prepare yourself, your family & your home to ensure you're as safe as possible during this time! It can be easy to get caught up in life and leave preparations until the last minute, but living in Queensland means being prepared for anything, especially at this time of year.
To make sure you're safe & prepared this season, here are some tips on how to do just that:
- Check the condition of the roof and repair loose tiles, eaves and screws
- Clean gutters and downpipes so water can drain away as quickly as possible
- Trim trees and overhanging branches
- Secure loose items that could cause damage if blown around in high winds (such as garden furniture and toys)
- Ensure your home, contents and car insurance is current and covers your assets adequately—check your policy includes debris clean up and disposal
- Identify which room is the strongest part of the house, in case you need to shelter in your home during severe storm or cyclone. Usually this would be the smallest room in the house, with the least windows
- Identify where and how to turn off the mains supply for water, power and gas
- Purchase emergency essentials to have on hand, such as:
- containers to store drinking water
- spare supply of fuel for use in your vehicle (ensure you store safely)
- wide masking tape for windows
- hessian bags and sand for sandbagging indoor drains to prevent sewerage backwash from flooding.
Keep up to date with the Mackay Regional Councils Emergency Dashboard HERE
Keep up to date with the Whitsundays Regional Councils Emergency Dashboard HERE
In 2017, TC Debbie crossed the coast around the Whitsundays. TEN News covered the story!
For further details on what to to do during a storm, you can click HERE