Restaurant blaze in Hobart

Bathurst St closed to fight fire

16 January 2018

Article heading image for Restaurant blaze in Hobart
Tasmania Fire Service units battled a blaze in central Hobart early this morning that all but gutted a local restaurant.

Just before 1am Tasmania Fire Service received a triple zero call alerting them to a fire at Maharaja Restaurant in Bathurst Street Hobart.

Three crews from Hobart Fire Brigade arrived to find the unoccupied kitchen fully involved in fire, spreading to the roofspace and threatening adjoining properties. Fire crews evacuated residents from a neighbouring property. The fire took around an hour to extinguish.

TFS fire investigator Acting Station Officer Adam Doran determined the fire was accidentally caused by a cooking appliance being left on with the damage estimated at $250,000.


"We remind the community to never leave cooking appliances on unattended either in restaurants or in the home, particularly when they utilise oils and fats. Our message is to turn it off before you turn away," Mr Doran said. 

Bathurst Street was closed during the fight to contain the fire at around 1am and didn't reopen again until after 5am.


Listen Live!