Severe Thunderstorm Warning For people in Central, East Gippsland, Northern Country, North Central and parts of Mallee, South West, North East, West and South Gippsland and Wimmera Forecast Districts.
Issued at 4:02 pm Wednesday, 6 February 2019.
Weather Situation: Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Bendigo, Shepparton, Seymour, Maryborough, Ballarat, Geelong and Melbourne.
- Longerenong near Horsham recorded 20mm in 20 minutes.
- Stawell recorded 9mm in 9 minutes.
- Flash flooding has been observed at Murrayville in the Mallee.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't drive, ride or walk through flood water.
* Be aware that in fire affected areas, rainfall run-off into waterways may contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks.
* Be alert that in areas recently affected by fires, heavy rainfall increases the potential for landslides and debris across roads.
* Stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* If you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* Listen to the radio for storm updates
* Switch off your computer and electrical appliances
The next warning is due to be issued by 7:05 pm.