Sixteen Schools Caught Up In Albury-Wodonga Outbreak
No snap lockdown announcement
Despite a growing outbreak across the border regional area, there is no word on whether a snap lockdown will be introduced for Albury, Wodonga and Riverina.
Murrumbidgee Local Health District reported 51 new cases of COVID in the past 24 hours up to 8pm Thursday.
In total, sixteen schools have been embroiled in the current COVID outbreak - raising concern for the spread among regional border residents.
"A significant amount of current cases are among those aged 12 to 24," a MLHD spokesperson said.
"It is critical those aged 12 and above come forward for vaccination. Vaccination is proven to prevent serious illness of COVID-19 and lower the risk of transmission.
"NSW Health is working closely with the NSW Department of Education, the NSW Early Learning Sector and a private aged care facility to manage the current COVID-19 outbreak in the Albury LGA.
- Benalla P-12 College - Confirmed COVID case attended college October 14,15 - school will reopen October 25.
- James Fallon High School - Community member tested positive, school closed from October 21.
- St Augustine's Primary School - Various students tested positive to COVID, students required to isolate for 14 days.
- Wangaratta High School - Confirmed case attended school from October 11 to 15 - school reopens October 22.
- Wodonga South Primary School - Confirmed case attended school on October v15 - reopens October 22.
- Lavington Public School - Recent positive test from school member, Principal Jarrod Lyons says "all staff and students are asked to self-isolate until you receive further advice."
- Wodonga Middle Years College - Students set to return October 22 after deep-cleaning.
- Murray High School - School reopened on October 21 after deep-cleaning.
- St John's Lutheran School, Jindera - School reopened after positive case and deep-cleaning.
- Xavier High School - Two positive cases detected last week, school has now reopened.
- Lavington East Public School - Community member tested positive, school has now reopened.
- Springdale Heights Public School - School closed on Monday, reopened after successful contract tracing.
- Indie School Albury-Wodonga - Positive case recorded from School facebook page (Albury Campus).
- Billabong High School - Teacher identified as close contact, then tested negative allowing school to reopen.
- Catholic College Wodonga - School closed on Tuesday following positive case, all students barring Year 8 returned to onsite learning from October 21.
Get the latest breaking news from SCA newsrooms around Australia. Short, simple and everything you need to know.