In 1989 Belinda Carlisle sung about Summer Rain and the romance of it all, but the reality is it's a lot more flash-flooding-fallen-power lines-and-flying branches, than it is 'dancing with my baby in the summer rain'.
With heavy rain predicted from Cyclone Owen in Townsville this weekend, it's time to ask if you, your loved ones, and your home are ready.
These are the items that the you should have in your emergency pantry list, they do not need refrigeration, special preparation, or cooking:
- Grain foods- breakfast cereal, muesli, wholegrain cereal, flat bread, dry biscuits, ready-to-eat rice/noodles
- Fruit- canned fruit in natural juice, dried fruit, fruit juice
- Vegetables- starchy vegetables e.g. canned potatoes, green vegetables e.g. canned peas, beans, asparagus, and orange and other vegetables e.g. canned beetroot, carrots, corn, tomatoes, mushrooms, capsicum, mixed vegetables
- Legumes and beans- canned legumes e.g. kidney beans, 4-bean mix, chick peas, lentils, baked beans
- Nuts and seeds- nuts and/or seeds (unsalted) e.g. almonds, cashews, pistachios, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, seed mix, nut paste
- Milk, yoghurt and cheese- long life custard, long life cheese e.g. cheese wedges or sticks, long life milk or calcium fortified soy milk
- Lean meat, poultry, fish, eggs- canned meat and/or poultry or alternatives e.g. braised steak, canned chicken, canned ham, nut meat, canned fish e.g. tuna, salmon, sardines
- Oils and treats- unsaturated oil e.g. olive oil
- Water and equipment- bottled water for drinking and food preparation, Plastic plates, bowls, cups, cutlery and utensils, hand sanitiser (water-free)
For information on how to prepare your home for summer storms, visit this link.