How’d you like your eggs? How about faster and tastier than ever? These recipes are here to help you.
Scrambled eggs in the microwave taste so good, and they’re so quick, it’s baffling why more people don’t do it. The recipe couldn’t be more simple. Just take two eggs, 2 tablespoons of milk and salt and pepper to season, beat in a microwave-safe bowl or mug. Microwave on high for 45 seconds, remove and stir. Then zap it again on high for another 30 seconds (or 10-20 seconds longer if you prefer your eggs firmer). Simple as that. Add some shredded cheese or herbs to add some flavour if desired.
Poacher Turned Great Eater
For a brilliant, fast poached egg in the microwave – for those days when you have the appetite but not the time – crack your egg into a microwave safe mug. Pour in water to about halfway up the cup. Add a dash of vinegar to help the egg settle. Cover the mug and cook on around HALF power (if you like your poached eggs hard then turn up the power) for one minute. If it needs longer, keep going for as long as it takes to form and perfect.
Everyone loves boiled eggs, especially kids. Here are some golden rules to make yours just right every time:
- Salt in the water – egg whites turn solid quicker in salty water
- Pricking an egg makes it easier to peel as the water gets inside the shell. Plus it makes the white set quicker
- Put the egg in while the water is still cold. This takes longer but stops the whites going rubbery. Best technique is to put the eggs in the pan first, then add water so it just covers the eggs.
- Plunge your just-cooked eggs immediately into ice cold water. Otherwise it will go on cooking.
- If time is no issue, then follow the technique employed by many of the top restaurants, which bring the pan almost-but-not-quite to the boil, then remove it from the heat and cover it for 25 minutes before plunging into iced water.
- Last, but by no means least, make sure you have nice crunchy toast and butter at hand for proper soldiers to dunk in your beautiful, boiled eggs.
Bake It Off. Bake It Off.
The haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate. But the smart people gonna bake, bake, bake, bake, bake. For quicker, delicious baked eggs, butter up some ramekins, then crack in your egg and season with salt and black pepper. Add some cheese (strong, nutty cheese is especially good here). Bake them at 180 degrees for 12-15 minutes depending how you like your yolks. Take the eggs out and add some herbs. Bingo. Great for impressing guests.
This is a beauty that you can make in even the most poorly equipped office kitchen. Take three-quarters of a cup of eggs (just egg whites if you want to be extra-healthy), add rock or kosher salt, then zap in the microwave for 90 seconds with another small cup of sliced mushrooms. Meanwhile toast and butter a wholegrain bun (or bagel if your prefer). Once the microwave pings, put the eggs and mushrooms inside, along with a slice of tomato. A tasty, easy, EMT – in under two minutes!
The only thing better than a breakfast burrito is a breakfast burrito you can make in less than three minutes. Scramble an egg and pour it into a tortilla that has been pressed into a bowl. Microwave this for 30 seconds, then stir. Give it another 30 seconds and remove from microwave and top with some shredded cheese, spring onion and salsa. Fold over your tortilla, checking the sides meet. Then enjoy.
Tosta-DAMN that tastes good
This delicious tostada comes together in no time and is made all the tastier for using the microwave. Take ¼ cup of milk, 4 egg whites and 2 eggs, plus a large pinch of rock salt and pinch of black pepper and whisk up before microwaving for 3 minutes. Spoon the mix on top of your tortillas, then adding some shredded cheese, kidney (or refried) beans, avocado, tomato and onions. Give the tortillas another 30 seconds in the microwave, then once removed, add salsa and sour cream as preferred. The results are amazing.