Bloke Sets Apartment On Fire Trying To Kill A Spider

'It was a huge wolf spider.'

Bloke Sets Apartment On Fire Trying To Kill A Spider Image: Channel 9

A California man who was trying to get rid of a spider ended up accidentally torching his whole apartment, according to authorities.

The fire occurred on Sunday in an apartment block in Redding, California.

The man was trying to kill the spider with a torch lighter in an upstairs bedroom, managing to set the arachnid alight.

But the spider ducked onto a nearby mattress, setting it alight and spreading onto nearby drapes and flags.

The fire quickly spread across the whole building, causing about $11,000 in damage.

"It was a huge wolf spider," resident Lyndsey Wisegarver told Redding Searchlight.

Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to neighbouring apartments, and no one was injured in the event.

Fire chief Rob Pitt said the fire caused moderate damage to the apartment, though, and it is now uninhabitable.

It's unknown if the fire actually even killed the spider.

;